Splitting Rent With Your London Flatmate
- 2 May 2013
Paying rent for your London Flat…Read More
1) If you’re going away for more than a few days over winter, turn the water off or keep the heating on in the property to prevent pipes from freezing.
2) Check the condition of the locks on doors and windows, and ask the landlord to repair/replace any damaged/broken ones as burglaries increase during the winter months.
3) Don’t leave Christmas lights or candles unattended – Christmas lights can catch fire!
4) Don’t keep large amount of cash in the property and position valuable items/Christmas presents away from windows/doors.
5) Don’t leave keys near doors or windows and make sure you lock everything even if popping out for 5 minutes, it takes very little time for an opportunist to get in and steal belongings.
6) If you are going away for a while, arrange for someone to keep an eye on post/packages at the property. Parcels/post left outside the property will either get stolen, or build up, which is a clear indication that no one is home.
7) Ask the landlord when the boiler was last serviced and request, that if not done within the last year, for a service to be completed to prevent any winter breakdowns.
And just in case anything does go wrong, make sure you know your landlord’s/letting agent’s emergency contact details, and keep them to hand in case of a burst pipe/break in or other winter emergency!